Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Things I've learned today:

Couponing is not simple.  There's a reason stores will double and triple coupons, and usually it has to do with pricing items in a way that they can still make a hefty profit.  We used to live near a Wegmans and would call their card a "conspiracy card."  I just got a Price Chopper conspiracy card today.  I've also gotten the Rite Aid conspiracy card recently.  After dealing with coupons (that, in some cases, even after being doubled didn't make it a better deal than store-brand or alternative brands), and marked up/marked down prices, I'm more frustrated than relieved that I saved money.  I will learn the system so that I can continue to save money, but I'm not happy about the process.  And, I have so much to learn.  I am thankful to have great friends and family who have already learned and are more than willing to share their knowledge.

At 6 months pregnant, I no longer have the patience to provide/allow for a fun bathtime for the kids.  I'm happy that my husband usually takes care of bathtime.  He really is a great husband and dad.  Tonight, the children have achieved cleanliness and nothing more from bathtime.

With simple planning ahead (having snacks and drinks in the car and leaving right after a meal), it isn't so difficult to avoid fast food joints on our trips out of the house.  If I can manage to eliminate all or all but 1 trip to fast food places a month, then I will save up to $50/month.

Listening to my children's play/imagination/story is possibly one of the most enjoyable sounds in the world.  It is too often interrupted by my voice or by the children screaming.  Children screaming is possibly one of the most stressful sounds in the world.

I need to prepare for a garage sale.  We went through and donated a lot of toys and clutter last month, but we need to do more.  And, Pleasant Row still has a lot to get rid of so that we can rearrange the carriage house to put a wood stove in the back.

My spending weakness today was home improvement magazines.

No comments: