Monday, April 30, 2012

Birthday party planning:
At nearly 4 years old, Miles has strong opinions about what he wants for his birthday party.  There are specific kids he wants there, and we sent out invitations.  I don't recall having birthday parties until I was a teenager, so I'm not familiar with the party planning process.  I've been to kids' parties that are well-organized with games and food and gifts.  I feel a lot of pressure to entertain everyone, but just don't know how.  I think the kids will entertain themselves, and I have a plan to create a game for them to play.  Done.  They love cake and ice cream.  This will be provided.  Done.  Miles will get a couple gifts from us.  Done.  Now all the worries.... I'd like the parents to stay.  I don't have an end time, but because it is a Sunday evening I expect families to be limited with how much time they can spend there.  I am having the party around dinner time, and I cannot provide dinner for everyone.  I have asked them for no presents to limit the sensory overload and clutter for the kids.  I don't know the "rules" for how many party favors/ thank yous to give to the kids that come.  I've limited the number of invites based on Miles's requests and the size of our house and parking limitations. 
Eeek.  So, I'm kind of winging this.  I'll have to post an update after the party to let you know what I learned from the process.

No comments: